Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tasty Tuesday: Shrimp with Toasted Garlic



I'm always looking for easy recipes with a "wow" factor and this one is a winner. I first saw it on a Tyler Florence "Ultimate Tapas" show and have served it twice over the past two weeks to plate-lickin', thumbs up reviews. I changed the proportions slightly since I buy 1 lb. bags of frozen shrimp - after all, that's what is on sale! These make a great first course or appetizer. I calculated 4 crostini per person and this served 4 people generously.

1 lb extra large shrimp (31 - 40)
10 cloves garlic
3/4 c olive oil
1/2 c chopped parsley
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper
baguette for crostini

Thaw shrimp if frozen and peel. Slice in half lengthwise and remove the little black thread (aka intestine - but who needs to know that!) This can be done hours in advance and the shrimp refrigerated.

Thinly slice the garlic. It seems like a lot but it cooks down to a very mellow flavor.

Add oil to a frying pan and warm over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, allowing the garlic to gradually cook and turn a mellow brown. This is a slow process; you do not want to burn the garlic.

Add shrimp to the toasted garlic and season with salt and pepper. The shrimp will cook quickly. Lift shrimp and garlic from the pan to your serving dish, toss with lemon juice and the chopped parsley.

While the shrimp cooks, toast baguette slices under the broiler. (You could simplify this further by skipping the toasting altogether)

Serve shrimp along side the crostini and enjoy!

For more great recipes check out the home of Tasty Tuesday.

9 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oooh, garlic! :D This sounds delish!

Tracey said...

These look excellent - I am a huge shrimp fan! Will have to try them out!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

This sounds delish! I looooove a pretty presentation too! I am going to bookmark this recipe and give it a try next week.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
:)

Anonymous said...

That looks so good, and fancy enough for an elegant dinner party.
Thanks for sharing.
Ginger

Anonymous said...

Oh Garlic Shrimp, yummy!! How pretty.

grammy said...

I have a confession... I have never cooked shrimp. Looks lovely and sounds delicious. How is your hubbies heart doing?

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

This definitely has the WOW factor. It looks so impressive and I bet is delish. Thanks for sharing. This would be great for a dinner party. :)

Joyce said...

This looks and sounds delicious! Yum!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Anything with 10 cloves of garlic has to be good. If you want, I have just posted a recipe link on Momtrends. You can post a favorite here:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/05/friday-feasts.html