Monday, July 14, 2008

Shuckin' Corn

Local sweet corn has started to arrive at our produce stands and we're eating lots of it. Usually I just toss the cobs in some evoo with salt and pepper and spices or herbs that appeal to me that night but I've lately become fond of adding the corn kernels to salads and relishes.

That's why I loved Michael Chiarello's hint for cutting corn off the cob. Apparently he has a bundt pan he doesn't use for baking...the leap from baking with it to cutting corn on it borders on genius! He simply places the husked corn cob in the center hole of the pan to support the cob and as he slices down the cob with a sharp knife, the kernels fall into the bundt pan, all neat and tidy!

Here is one of my favorite corn recipes, based on a Bobby Flay recipe. He serves his on a crisp tortilla...I eat mine with a fork!

AVOCADO CORN RELISH

2 ears of corn, cooked (I grill mine) and kernels removed
3 T diced red onion
2T chopped cilantro or parsley if you prefer
1/4 c fresh lime juice
1/2 c diced sweet pepper (your color choice)
1/2 jalpeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
2 Haas avocados, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped

You can combine all ingredients except the avocado hours before you intend to serve (great for a party). If you're sensitive to "heat" you can omit the jalapeno. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, perpare and add the avocado. This is good with any grilled meat, fish or chicken. Serves 4

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Busymama Kellie said...

This sounds delicious! I must try this recipe. Mmm, I'm hungry now.