Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"The Reluctant Environmentalist"


There's a great article in this month's issue of Working Mother magazine by Lisa Armstrong called "The Reluctant Environmentalist." If you don't already read this magazine, you can read it online by going to www.workingmother.com and clicking on the current issue button.

Lisa makes the point that raising our eco-consciousness is easier than we might think and she gives 25 quick and easy ways we can make some immediate changes that will make a difference. Even the smallest things can have a big impact like soaking your laundry (overnight or while you're at work), giving away unwanted items rather than throwing them away and cutting back on paper consumption by using those old t-shirts for cleaning - I recycled my babies' diapers!

Ever think of donating a tree? What a great idea for birthdays...donate trees as a gift or even party favors! Every dollar donated equals one new tree for a national forest. Go to arborday.org to donate.

And speaking of birthday parties, I must add one more easy way to make a simple change that have great impact: help reduce paper waste by replacing all those paper and plastic birthday party supplies with biodegradable plates, cups and utensils available at Whole Foods and companies such as Branch Home. Switch to cloth tablecloths, napkins and favor bags from One Mom and a Party. These items are handmade here in the USA of 100% cotton and instead of a garbage bag full of paper, you'll have items you can use over and over again.

Check out these websites and you'll be encouraged that by taking little steps you too will be helping to save our planet.

1 comment:

La Mama Naturale' said...

Fantastic info! I would love to add your party store to my Eco B-Day page and maybe a button, if you'd like! I'm constantly updating my page as I'm new to Wordpress and just made move the couple weeks ago. I wanted to sew our own cloth party bags but never had the opportunity. So much to do so little time. I may even blog about this article...and link back here, if you don't mind?! What a lovely party store with a wealth of green insight. I love it!!! :) Hope to eco-chat soon.