Friday, October 24, 2008

Flashback Friday #8: The Powers Girls

 
I never knew my Mother's mother, Helen Powers Storm, as she died before I was born. But I did meet her sister, Grace Powers, my great aunt.
 
This is portrait of my Grandmother and her sister taken in June 1914. Grace,on the left, was born on September 19, 1897 and would have been 17 years old in a few months. Helen, on the right, was born on January 28, 1893 and would have been 21 years old in this picture.
 

 
There is no date on this second photo of my Grandmother but judging by the off-the-shoulder dress, I'm guessing she was a little older than in the first photo.
 

 
I was in high school the last time I saw my Great Aunt Grace. I wish now that I had asked her to tell me more about her life growing up in the early 20th century. If you have some "older" relatives, now is the time to ask them about their lives. There is so much to learn from them but you must take the step now to record their memories for future generations. Don't wait!
 

1 comment:

grammy said...

I have a picture of my Grandma Nellie and her sister...very similar as far as the clothes and pose. I forget the aunts name...oh well, my kids never ask me about those things.