Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lotsa Lentils

 
The temperature is hovering around 60 degrees. It's a dreary, damp Fall day. It's time for some homemade soup!
 

I had a bag of "Lots of Lentil" dried soup mix by Bean Cuisine in my pantry... well, I had half a bag but that's more than enough for the two of us. In 1T evoo I sauteed:
 
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, quartered and chopped
 
and added:
 
4 c water
1 14.5oz can chicken broth
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1 smoked ham hock (or 8 oz smoked sausage)
1/2 bag of lentils (note: these lentils included seasonings)
fresh ground black pepper
 
I brought the soup to a boil then lowered the heat and simmered for 3 hours, adding 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley at the very end.
 
Homemade soup. Mmmm mmm mmm....one of the best things about Fall.

2 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

I love soup!!!!! this sounds yummy

Busymama Kellie said...

Alright, you seriously need to stop with all the talk of Fall. I'm jonesing for some crisp autumn weather right now! :)