Friday, November 7, 2008

Flashback Friday #10: Great Grandparents

 
Stella and Frank Storm were my mother's paternal grandparents. I don't have a record of where they were born but I do know that Frank Storm was the son of William Storm who came to Escondido, California from Tennessee via Texas. My mother told me that they had come to California in a covered wagon, but it doesn't seem likely that they would have traveled together before they were married.
 

 

 
Frank and Stella were married in Escondido on February 25, 1890. I believe these portraits would have been done about that time.
 
Three sons were born to Stella while in Escondido: Philip Bettens, my grandfather, July 9, 1892; Charles Leonard, December 5, 1894 and Clayton Dufour, July 14, 1896. Charles Leonard died February 10, 1895 and Clayton Dufour died March 29, 1900. Both babies were buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Escondido. These dates and the three children in the photo don't seem to line up - Leonard died before Clayton was born, so I'm not sure who the infant would be. The note on the back of the photo simply says, "2 brothers of Philip did not survive childhood."
 

 
At some point the family moved to Hollywood, California to Las Palmas Street. That would be my great grandmother on the right but I don't know who is with her. The curbs and sidewalk would seem to indicate that their house was on a city lot.
 


This last picture is of Stella and Frank in 1930 when they would have been married 40 years and would probably have been in their sixties. Once again, I wish I had more details of their life.


2 comments:

Maureen Hayes said...

Wow, you know a lot about your family history. That is so cool. Isn't it fun to have these photos and this info and to be able to share it with your kids? I love you page. I scrapbook, but only traditionally and would like to learn more about digital.

Great site!

Anonymous said...

I want to know more about your ancestors, too! These pictures just make me imagine all kinds of possibilities about their lives.