Thursday, February 19, 2009

Botanicals

I confess I'm not a G.R.I.T.S. That's a Girl Raised In The South for you Northerners.

I am a G.W.I.T.S. That's a Girl Wintering In The South.

One of the best parts of spending the winter in South Carolina is enjoying the gardens. Having spent my first 20 years in Southern California, I recognize many of the flowers: camelias, gardenias, hibiscus. And, of course, the hardy annuals: pansies, snap dragons, flowering cabbage and ornamental kale and parsley.

But I don't recognize this. I was so captivated by the berries that I tried to dry them and take them home with me one year. But they wouldn't dry. They rotted. Darn.

So can anyone identify this shrub and it's berries? I think it might be a type of philodendron. Do they ever bloom? Or are these green berry clusters the blossom?



Any gardeners out there???

2 comments:

grammy said...

Sorry, I am not a plant person. So tell me about SC. Are you staying with family. Are you close to the ocean?

designHER Momma said...

not good in a garden really, but totally in awe of south carolina. must be like the best place to live, climate wise!

I just looks so beautiful!